Quadrilheiros (elements armed with rods or spears)
This force was promoted by King Fernando during the crisis of 1383-1385. This body of troops, which carried out "Military Police" functions, was appointed by the Constable and was placed under his direct dependency. Among its functions, it was responsible for the distribution of war remains. It was later attributed with other duties in order to safeguard the population, whereby being the first Corps to be established with organizational laws and competences attributed within the compass of security.
Guarda Real da Policia (Royal Police Guard)
Under the auspices of Prince Regent João, through the inspiration of the Marquis of Pombal and by proposal of the Police Intendant of the Pina Manique Corps and Reign, this force succeeded the Quadrilheiros in 1801, through a Bill passed on 10 December of the cited year. It arose as the first professional force exclusively vocationed towards security in Portugal. The first force of the Royal Police Guard was based within these Quarters.
Guarda Municipal (Municipal Guard)
The Guardas Reais de Lisboa e do Porto (Lisbon and Porto Royal Guards) were extinct with liberalism and the Guardas Municipais de Lisboa e do Porto (Lisbon and Porto Municipal Guards) were created to replace these. As of 1845, these Quarters became the Headquarters of the Guarda Municipal de Lisboa. Since 1868 the Carmo Quarters became the General Headquarters of the Guardas Municipais de Lisboa e do Porto. On the eve of the regicide, António José de Almeida, who would later become Minister of the Interior and President of the Portuguese Republic after the implantation of the Republic, was held captive within these Quarters.
With the Republican victory on 05 October 1910, the Guardas Municipais de Lisboa e do Porto were extinct and the transitory Guarda Republicana de Lisboa e Porto (Lisbon and Porto Republican Guard) was established. Six months later, through a bill passed on 03 May the Guarda Republicana was extended throughout all of the national territory and came to be called the Guarda Nacional Republicana (GNR), whereby its General Headquarters remained at the Carmo Quarters.